If you find asbestos, take precautions before removing and disposing of it. Asbestos is dangerous for health.
Asbestos is still present in many homes, schools, buildings. There is a risk of coming across asbestos during renovation or demolition work. Multifunctional and inexpensive, asbestos was very often used in construction as thermal and acoustic insulation.
It is, therefore, necessary for the asbestos removal company Nottingham to make the diagnosis and, above all, take its precautions before removing it and throwing it away. Because once damaged, asbestos constitutes a severe health hazard.
Should Asbestos Be Removed
It is not compulsory to remove asbestos from your home. Asbestos is only dangerous if its fibres are released into the air.
If There Is Free Asbestos
It is advisable to remove it, especially if it is damaged, apparent (unprotected) and is in a place where it may be damaged (for example in the case of passage or work). For this, it is highly recommended for your health to call on an approved company.
If There Is Bound Asbestos
The health risk is minimal as long as the materials remain intact. We can, therefore, leave them in place if they are in good condition.
On the other hand, if renovation or demolition works are likely to damage asbestos products, they must be removed beforehand. You can do it yourself, with certain precautions.
How To Remove Non-Friable Asbestos Yourself
In the case of asbestos cement and for small quantities, it is possible to carry out the removal work yourself.
To avoid breathing the fibres during the handling of asbestos cement, several precautions must be taken, the main ones being:
- Protect yourself with a suitable maskand gloves. Please note: a disposable mask is often difficult to adjust (a delicate seal to obtain). A reusable half mask with replaceable filters is more effective.
- Disassemble the parts one by one, do not damage themand use only hand tools;
- Then clean with water(no vacuum cleaner!);
- Discardused clothing and gloves(with asbestos waste);
- Enclose waste in regulatory bags;
- Wash thoroughlyafter work (especially hair, beard).